WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
- Ankle strap & timing chip (provided onsite, and make sure they are turned in- $40.00 fee if not returned)
- Swim cap & goggles
- Wet suit (optional)
- Bike helmet
- Running shoes
- Cycling shoes (optional)
- Sun screen
- Filled water bottles
- Great attitude and expectation
RACE NUMBERS & BODY MARKING
- Transition opens at 6:30am. Regardless of your wave, your bike must be in the transition zone by 7:30am. Your equipment must be removed from Transition by 1:00pm. Just a friendly reminder: The Staff of Hodag Triathlon and Volunteers claim no responsibility for lost or stolen items during the race. Please use this at your own risk. Thank you.
- Only race participants, event staff, event security and volunteers are allowed in the transition area. An event wristband and race number are required for access.
- No extra equipment (wheels, 2nd helmet, 2nd wetsuit, etc.) is allowed in marked transition area. Only gear bags are allowed with above items.
- Helmets must be worn, buckled in place during all aspects of the bike including inside transition.
- You must walk your bike in transition grid, & walk or jog with your bike in the transition lanes to the designated mount & dismount areas at the Bike Out and Bike In transition gates.
(Eliminated to decrease COVID-19 risk)
- Your race number must be visible on your body & pinned to the front of your run jersey.
- Body marking will be limited to shoulders and the right & left leg.
- The Hodag Mini-Triathlon is timed with an Electronic Timing System. Participants are required to wear the Chip, strapped on their ankle, throughout the race. NO CHIP, NO TIME, NO RESULTS!!! Chips will be collected at the end of the Finish Zone before entering the hydration area. If you manage to slip through without turning in your chip, please make sure to return to the Finish Zone and drop it off. There is a $35 charge for a lost band/chip.
- If for any reason you are unable to complete the event, you must either turn in your chip at transition when you collect your gear (11am – 1pm) or at the timing tent, located at the finish line. It is mandatory that you turn in your chip so we will have a record that you are safe and off the course. There is a $35 charge for a lost band/chip. It is important that you report in so we will know that you are safe and off the course.
- The swim wave will start at 8:30am (unless there's a weather delay).
- The swim is near and parallel to the shore and begins with an in-water start. You will enter on the left & exit the water on the right of the beach looking at the lake from the beach with the dock between the two areas. Be careful when entering. The water is shallow. You should seed yourself according to your swimming ability (fast swimmers to the front). You are prohibited from striking or swimming over another swimmer. Failure to heed the command of an Official or a lifeguard in the Hodag Mini-Triathlon will result in a DQ & ejection from the event (no refunds).
- In place of the swim, a substitute 1/2 mile kayak option is available. Only single-person kayaks are allowed, and you must either bring your own kayak or rent one for the day (available to rent at Mel's Trading Post in Rhinelander).
- Kayaks will be manned by Hodag Mini-Triathlon Officials for your safety.
- Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified from the event.
- If you have entered the water and believe you are in need of assistance from a lifeguard, it is recommended that you roll over on your back and signal to a lifeguard. If a lifeguard believes you are in danger at any point during the swim, the lifeguard has at his or her discretion the right to remove you from the swim leg of the race. If you are not able to complete the swim, you are still entitled to participate in the bike and the run, but please turn in your timing chip prior to entering transition to start the bike.
- In the Hodag Mini-Triathlon, if the water temperature is 75 degrees or less, wetsuits are allowed. It is recommended that you wait until 5-10 minutes before the start of your wave to put on your suit. Keep the suit rolled down to your waist until just before you enter the water. If you are new to wetsuits, it is recommended that you purchase the wetsuit from a reputable dealer and make sure the suit fits properly. Be sure to heed the manufacturer's warnings. It is also recommended that you train in your wetsuit under supervision before wearing the suit in a competition.
- Although a bike safety inspection is not mandatory, it is highly recommended. If an Event Official deems your bike to be unsafe, you will be prohibited from participating in the Event (no refunds).
- Officials will also be in transition & along the route. Failure to heed the commands of an Official will result in your disqualification & ejection from the event (no refunds).
- There are caution areas on the bike course (near transition and during turns) where you are required to slow & ride single file. Race officials will be on hand, and failure to heed their instructions may result in a penalty or your disqualification (no refunds).
- If you break down on the bike, you must remove yourself and your bike from the course. Bike Course Personnel with vans will be circulating the course. Need assistance? Flag down an official race vehicle! Do not attempt to repair your bike while on the course.
- The run takes place along a short stretch of blacktop town of Pelican road with the majority of the run occurring off road on Holiday Acres property to the South and East toward CAVOC with some rolling hills terrain. There may be an occasional pedestrian or recreational cyclist, but Event Officials will monitor the short stretch of road. However, keep your eyes open & use caution. Avoid contact with other runners.
Races are rain or shine unless we determine that race conditions are dangerous. This will be based on a prudent decision made on the race weekend. If the race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This position is consistent with USAT recommendations and with the protocol of sharing the risks associated with the sport of triathlon. In the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any/all portions of the race. Each athlete must accept any such risk of their entry fee paid including other amenities paid for such as t-shirts, insurance, and online administrative fees. All fees collected are used to develop and produce the event including donations to W.I.L.D. and area Community organizations that help make this event Awesome! Thanks for being a part of Hodag Mini-Triathlon, and for enhancing this active community and family oriented event!!